Search for a Recipe

Monday, April 15, 2013

One-Pot Black Beans and Rice


When the weather breaks the only thing I can think about is my feet in the sand, the wind in my hair, and a margarita in my hand!  Of course the margarita pairs well with Mexican food, and has thus inspired me to make my first pot of rice and black beans.  I only started enjoying this dish in the past few years but found it to be hearty and filling.  You can add more veggies or meat and serve it as a main dish, or as a side to your favorite tacos, enchiladas  or fajitas for a great Mexican themed dinner!  Later this week I'll post my chicken enchiladas, which go perfect with these beans!  If you are not a vegetarian, you can simply saute the veggies in olive oil and swap the chicken broth for veggie broth.

Ingredients

4 piece of center cut bacon - chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 large onion - finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic - minced
3/4 cup uncooked white rice
1.5 cups chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust per your heat preference)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
16oz black beans - drained

Directions
 

In a stockpot over medium heat, saute the bacon strips stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.  When the bacon begins to turn brown and the fat renders add the chopped onion and garlic.  Continue to cook 4-5 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. 


 Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.  Be sure to coat the rice in the bacon fat mixture so it does not burn.  Stir in the chicken broth, cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Keep watch and if the liquid level gets low, add water 1/2 cup at a time. 

Once the rice is soft, add the black beans and spices and gently stir to incorporate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment